Target Grade Levels: Grades 9–11; 12th graders welcome (see placement details below)
Instructor: Mr. Kotynski
Schedule: T/Th 2 p.m. EST, 60–75 min.
This Latin 3 course includes an in-depth study of Latin grammar concepts. Students will complete Latin Alive! Book 3, studying at a deliberate pace that aims at mastery and delight. Building on Latin 1 & 2, students in Latin 3 continue to translate more advanced original Latin literature, much of which is taken from the medieval period. Students continue learning the history and culture of Roman and medieval society. Students expand their Latin vocabulary even more and gain an increasing facility in the reading of original Latin.
- This course is designed for students who have successfully completed our Latin 2 course, the Latin Alive! Book 2 text, or an equivalent course of study.
- Scholé Academy administers placement exams in order to get to know each student and find the best learning environment for him or her, as we seek to educate our students well and wisely. After registration, a placement exam will be provided to students who have not completed the previous level of Latin Alive! with Scholé Academy online. Registration is finalized when the student’s placement exam has been returned by the course instructor with placement confirmation.
High School Credit: This course is the equivalent of one high school credit in foreign language.
High-Speed Internet Connection: You will also need access to high-speed Internet, preferably accessible via Ethernet cable right into your computer. Using Wi-Fi may work, but will not guarantee you the optimal use of your bandwidth. The faster your Internet, the better. We recommend using a connection with an download/upload speed of 5/1Mbps or better. You can test your Internet connection here.
Headset: We recommend using a headset rather than a built-in microphone and speakers. Using a headset reduces the level of background noise heard by the entire class.
Headset Recommendations: USB | 3.5mm
Zoom: We use a web conferencing software called Zoom for our classes, which enables students and teachers to gather from around the globe face to face in real time. Zoom is free to download and easy to use.
To download Zoom:
- Visit zoom.us/download.
- Click to download the first option listed, Zoom Client for Meetings.
- Open and run the installer on your computer.
- In August, students will be provided with instructions and a link for joining their particular class.
from Classical Academic Press