Latin for Children B
Term: Yearlong 2019–20, September 3–May 22
Target Grade Levels: Grades 5–6; 7th graders welcome (see placement details below)
Schedule: 3x / week, 45-60 min.
Course Sections (choose one)
Section 1: M/W/F 10:30 a.m. ET with Ms. Reeves
Section 2: M/T/Th 3:30 p.m. ET with Ms. Reeves
New Placement Process: Click to Read
- students who are new to Scholé Academy
- students who have not completed the previous course level at Scholé Academy
- students who have not completed the designated prerequisites
- students who need to demonstrate skills and proficiency necessary for course success
- If a placement evaluation has not been administered, withdrawals requested before May 1 are granted a full refund, including the full $75 deposit.
- If a placement evaluation has been administered, withdrawals requested before May 1 are granted part of their $75 refund: $35 will be paid to the instructor for the placement evaluation, and the remaining $40 of the original deposit will be refunded.
Students in the Latin for Children B course continue their study of Latin grammar and reading while also continuing to enjoy the delight of studying the Latin language. Students go on to study the third noun declension and the third and fourth verb conjugations; the past, present, and future tenses; and all remaining parts of speech (pronouns, adjectives, prepositions, adverbs, and conjunctions). During the course of the year, students begin to read and translate basic Latin paragraphs, putting their knowledge of Latin grammar and vocabulary to work! They also acquire a Latin vocabulary of another 240 words and learn many English words derived from these Latin words.
Since 2001, the award-winning Latin for Children curriculum has been and continues to be a strong, inviting, and creative program designed to introduce grammar school students to Latin. It incorporates elements that will engage students of every learning style. As a step beyond just an exposure to the language, this course trains students in grammar, vocabulary, and English derivatives in a lively, interactive way. For a closer look at the texts used in this course, please follow these links and click “Look Inside”: Latin for Children Primer B and Latin for Children Primer B History Reader. Please note: this course will use the NEW Revised Edition of Latin for Children Primer B.
Schedule: This course is designed with young learners’ brains in mind! The course meets 3 times per week for 45-60 minutes, affording adequate instructional time while keeping on-screen sessions to a healthy duration for our youngest learners.
- Click here to view the Section 1 syllabus for 2019-2020.
- Click here to view the Section 2 syllabus for 2019-2020.
Placement: Please read about our new process above.
- This class is designed for students who have successfully completed Latin for Children A, as it builds on the cumulative foundation of vocabulary and grammar concepts established in this first year of the series.
- The course is geared toward rising 5th–6th graders. Rising 7th graders are welcome in Latin for Children B, though they may also wish to consider our upper-school Latin 1 course, which progresses at a faster and more challenging pace.
- When considering whether this course is a good fit for your student, please keep in mind that in addition to readiness for the course content, students should be developmentally prepared to engage in a 5th- to 6th-grade corporate learning environment. If your student is outside the target grade range for this class, or if you have further questions about placement, please contact us.
“The interaction of the [Latin for Children B] class turned Latin from something that she had to do, which she usually did last, into something that she wanted to do, and now does before her other schoolwork. I no longer have to cajole or press her to study her Latin. What a godsend! Thank you!” —Scholé Academy Latin for Children B Parent
- Latin for Children Primer B (student edition) NEW Revised Edition, Version 4.0**
- Latin for Children Primer B History Reader
Please note: MP3 versions of the Latin for Children Primer B chants will be provided to the students enrolled in this course at no charge.
*Required texts are not included in the purchase of the course.
**Classical Academic Press released a NEW Revised Edition of this text in May 2018. The new revised edition (Version 4.0) is required for this course. Older versions of the student edition and answer key are not compatible with the course. (Note: The content of the history reader has not changed.)
- Latin for Children Primer B Activity Book
This activity book accompanies Latin for Children Primer B, following the textbook chapter by chapter to supplement and enhance the practice of Latin vocabulary and grammar. With the activities, students will sail around the world, find their way out of dungeon mazes, rescue captive Latin words from an evil wizard, “week out” the wrong crossword puzzle questions . . . and more! The activity book is optional for this online class.
- Latin for Children Primer B Answer Key
The Latin for Children Primer B Answer Key features actual, full-size pages from Latin for Children Primer B, with answers to quizzes, exercises, and worksheets in bold print. The answer key is optional for this online class.
Amanda Reeves has a BA in Greek and Latin from Stanford University, where she received recognition in her department for both her enthusiasm for the classical world as well as her excellence in scholarship. After finishing her degree, she spent a year living abroad in Rome, Italy, designing and facilitating short-term study-abroad programs for students studying Latin through the Paideia Institute for Humanistic Study. Currently, Amanda is back in Italy serving at Rome Baptist Church as a ministry intern. She enjoys keeping her interest in the ancient world current by working with elementary, middle, and high school Latin students. Having learned Latin online herself, Amanda is passionate about distance learning and enjoys integrating traditional grammar and translation methods with spoken Latin to produce the best educational experience for her students. She has taught and tutored Latin online for the last seven years and particularly enjoys seeing how each unique student’s personality shapes the learning environment. When she is not exploring the many corners of Rome, she spends her time waxing poetic about the Parthenon Marbles and Stanford football, always with a strong cup of coffee in hand. firstname.lastname@example.org
Computer: You will need a stable, reliable computer, running with a processor with a speed of 1 GHz or better on one of the following operating systems: Mac OS X with Mac OS 10.7 or later; Windows 8, 7, Vista (with SP1 or later), or XP (with SP3 or later). We do not recommend using an iPad or other tablet for joining classes. An inexpensive laptop or netbook would be much better solutions, as they enable you to plug an Ethernet cable directly into your computer. Please note that Chromebooks are allowed but not preferred, as they do not support certain features of the Zoom video conference software such as breakout sessions and annotation, which may be used by our teachers for class activities.
High-Speed Internet Connection: You will also need access to high-speed Internet, preferably accessible via Ethernet cable right into your computer. Using Wi-Fi may work, but will not guarantee you the optimal use of your bandwidth. The faster your Internet, the better. We recommend using a connection with a download/upload speed of 5/1 Mbps or better. You can test your Internet connection here.
Headset: We recommend using a headset rather than a built-in microphone and speakers. Using a headset reduces the level of background noise heard by the entire class. Headset Recommendations: USB | 3.5mm
Zoom: We use a web conferencing software called Zoom for our classes, which enables students and teachers to gather from around the globe face to face in real time. Zoom is free to download and easy to use. To download Zoom:
- Visit zoom.us/download.
- Click to download the first option listed, Zoom Client for Meetings.
- Open and run the installer on your computer.
- In August, students will be provided with instructions and a link for joining their particular class.
Scanner: In this class, students frequently submit homework assignments by scanning pages from their workbooks. Students and/or their parents should have easy access to a scanner and the ability to use it.
Please Note: This recording is a sample of Latin for Children A with Mrs. Margaret Weaver.
What’s Different About Latin
- The Other
Explore our courses!
First, read the available course descriptions, noting prerequisites, target grades, and course objectives. If you think your student is prepared for the course, go ahead and register. After registration, a placement assessment may be provided to students, depending on the course and the student’s previous enrollment with Scholé Academy. Registration is finalized when the student’s placement assessment has been returned by the course instructor with placement confirmation.
Read the Student-Parent Handbook.
Please take careful note of our teaching philosophy, our technology requirements, our school policies, the parent agreement, and the distinctions between our grade levels.
Double-check the course section dates and times.
Make sure they don't conflict with other activities in your schedule or other courses you are purchasing. Our system will not catch double-bookings!
You're ready to add course selections to your cart!
Our Assistant to the Principal will be in touch with you after your enrollment to help you with next steps, including any placement evaluations that may be required for your course selections.
This registration will be finalized when the student's placement assessment has been returned by the course instructor with placement confirmation.