Latin for Children C
Term: Yearlong 2018–19, September 4–May 24
Target Grade Levels: Grades 6–7 (see placement details below)
Instructor: Ms. Scheidegger
Schedule: T/Th 11:00 a.m. EST, 60–75 min.
In this third-year Latin course, students learn to read and translate longer Latin paragraphs. They study the fourth and fifth noun declensions; review and use all four verb conjugations in past, present, and future tenses; and review and use all the parts of speech in Latin. Students also acquire a Latin vocabulary of another 240 words and learn many English words derived from these Latin words.
Since 2001, the award-winning Latin for Children curriculum has been and continues to be a strong, inviting, and creative program designed to introduce grammar school students to Latin. It incorporates elements that will engage students of every learning style. As a step beyond just an exposure to the language, this course trains students in grammar, vocabulary, and English derivatives in a lively, interactive way. For a closer look at the texts used in this course, please follow these links and click “Look Inside”: Latin for Children Primer C and Latin for Children Primer C History Reader.
- This class is designed for students who have successfully completed Latin for Children A and Latin for Children B, as it builds on the cumulative foundation of vocabulary and grammar concepts established in these first two years of formal Latin instruction.
- Scholé Academy administers placement exams in order to get to know each student and find the best learning environment for him or her, as we seek to educate our students well and wisely. After registration, a placement exam will be provided to students who have not completed the previous levels of Latin for Children with Scholé Academy online. Registration is finalized when the student’s placement exam has been returned by the course instructor with placement confirmation.
- The course is geared toward rising 6th-7th graders. We recommend rising 8th graders consider our Upper School Latin 1 course, which is targeted at rising 7th-9th graders and progresses at a faster pace.
- When considering whether this course is a good fit for your student, please keep in mind that in addition to readiness for the course content, students should be developmentally prepared to engage in a 6th- to 7th-grade corporate learning environment. If your student is outside the target grade range for this class, or if you have further questions about placement, please contact us.
“My son gained a renewed love of Latin and a desire to go on. He had plans to stop after this year and now plans to continue Latin study. The instructor gave him special attention in an area of weakness. He also liked the social element and a chance to witness that others his age were Latin students. My son says the class was perfect!” —Scholé Academy Latin for Children C Parent
“My daughter loves being in a class atmosphere and being able to have her questions answered. It is also very beneficial for her to hear and speak to her teacher and the other students. The interactions between them all is what makes Latin truly come alive for her. To be in the online class has greatly increased her commitment to and love of Latin. Thank you!” —Scholé Academy Latin for Children C Parent
Please note: MP3 versions of the Latin for Children C chants will be provided to the students enrolled in this course at no charge.
*Required texts are not included in the purchase of the course.
- Latin for Children Primer C Activity Book
This activity book accompanies Latin for Children Primer C, following the textbook chapter by chapter to supplement and enhance the practice of Latin vocabulary and grammar. With the activities, students will sail around the world, find their way out of dungeon mazes, rescue captive Latin words from an evil wizard, “week out” the wrong crossword puzzle questions . . . and more! The activity book is optional for this online class.
- Latin for Children Primer C Answer Key
The Latin for Children Primer C Answer Key features actual, full-size pages from Latin for Children Primer C, with answers to quizzes, exercises, and worksheets in bold print. The answer key is optional for this online class.
HeadventureLand.com is our premier classical education practice site. As students are learning Latin, logic, and other classical subjects, they often don’t get enough opportunities outside the classroom to put their skills to use. With a creative, engaging environment such as Headventure Land, we believe that students will enjoy practicing and strengthening their skills without the need for prompting. HeadventureLand.com has a free Lite Zone corresponding to Latin for Children Primer C.
Allison Scheidegger earned her BA in literature with a minor in classics from Patrick Henry College. She served two years as a Latin teacher for Providence Preparatory Academy, a Scholé Community in Northern Virginia. After thereby discovering that she loved teaching languages, Allison dove into the world of online teaching. In all her experiences tutoring and teaching Latin, Allison’s favorite part has been showing students the wonders of Latin. Allison has always loved taking things apart to find out how they work, and then putting them back together to be used anew. Language is the most exciting example of such functional beauty, so it makes sense that one of her favorite pastimes is learning and teaching languages. Whether through the concise beauty of an ablative absolute or the fun of using complementary infinitives, Allison hopes to infect her students with awe at God’s amazing gift of language. She wants to give students the tools to understand, appreciate, and creatively employ language.
Computer: You will need a stable, reliable computer, running with processor with a speed of 1 Ghz or better on one of the following operating systems: Mac OS X with MacOS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or later; Windows 8, 7, Vista (with SP1 or later), or XP (with SP3 or later). We do NOT recommending using an iPad or other tablet for joining classes. An inexpensive laptop or netbook would be much better solutions, as they enable you to plug an Ethernet cable directly into your computer. Please note that Chromebooks are allowed but not preferred, as they do not support certain features of the Zoom video conference software such as breakout sessions and annotation, which may be used by our teachers for class activities.
High-Speed Internet Connection: You will also need access to high-speed Internet, preferably accessible via Ethernet cable right into your computer. Using Wi-Fi may work, but will not guarantee you the optimal use of your bandwidth. The faster your Internet, the better. We recommend using a connection with an download/upload speed of 5/1Mbps or better. You can test your Internet connection here.
Headset: We recommend using a headset rather than a built-in microphone and speakers. Using a headset reduces the level of background noise heard by the entire class.
Headset Recommendations: USB | 3.5mm
Zoom: We use a web conferencing software called Zoom for our classes, which enables students and teachers to gather from around the globe face to face in real time. Zoom is free to download and easy to use.
To download Zoom:
- Visit zoom.us/download.
- Click to download the first option listed, Zoom Client for Meetings.
- Open and run the installer on your computer.
- In August, students will be provided with instructions and a link for joining their particular class.
Scanner: In this class, students frequently submit homework assignments by scanning pages from their workbooks. Students and/or their parents should have easy access to a scanner and the ability to use it.
Please Note: This recording is a sample of Latin for Children A with Mrs. Margaret Weaver.
from Classical Academic Press
Already purchased this course?
First, ensure your student is logged in. Then, hover over the account symbol in the upper right corner of your screen. Click "My Courses" to access the course information, syllabus, assignments, grades, and more!