Lower-School Spanish for Children A: Part 1
Term: Yearlong 2019–20, September 3–May 22
Target Grade Levels: Grades 5–6; 7th graders welcome (see placement details below)
Schedule: 3x / week, 45–60 min.
Section 1: M/T/Th 1:00 p.m. ET with Señora Fencer
New Placement Process: Click to Read
- students who are new to Scholé Academy
- students who have not completed the previous course level at Scholé Academy
- students who have not completed the designated prerequisites
- students who need to demonstrate skills and proficiency necessary for course success
- If a placement evaluation has not been administered, withdrawals requested before May 1 are granted a full refund, including the full $75 deposit.
- If a placement evaluation has been administered, withdrawals requested before May 1 are granted part of their $75 refund: $35 will be paid to the instructor for the placement evaluation, and the remaining $40 of the original deposit will be refunded.
This beginning Spanish course gives students a clear introduction to Spanish grammar and reading that will also delight them and cultivate in them the wonder of language. Throughout the course of Spanish for Children A, students learn over 290 commonly used Spanish vocabulary words. They also study engaging conversational text, as well as grammatical concepts such as verb conjugation, tenses, and noun genders, enabling them to construct Spanish sentences properly. The Spanish for Children curriculum teaches upper-elementary students this dynamic language using the pedagogy and structure of the popular Latin for Children series combined with immersion-style dialogues and vocabulary. This course emphasizes grammar and the parts of speech as vital tools for the correct speaking and understanding of Spanish. For a closer look at the text used in this course, please follow this link and click “Look Inside”: Spanish for Children Primer A.
The Spanish for Children curriculum is content-rich in both its breadth and its depth. In order to foster deeper understanding of subject matter and guide students to mastery at a fitting pace, we offer Spanish for Children A in two parts. In Spanish for Children A: Part 1, Señora Foose guides students through units 1–5 of the Spanish for Children. The subsequent year of study, Spanish for Children A: Part 2, picks up with unit 5 and guides students through the remainder of the content in the text.
Schedule: This course is designed with young learners’ brains in mind! The course meets 3 times per week for 45–60 minutes, affording adequate instructional time while keeping on-screen sessions to a healthy duration for our youngest learners.
Placement: Please read about our new process above.
- This course is designed as an introductory Spanish course; no prior Spanish instruction is required.
- The course is targeted at rising 4th–5th graders, though 6th graders are also welcome. When considering whether this course is a good fit for your student, please keep in mind that in addition to readiness for the course content, students should be developmentally prepared to engage in the online classroom dynamic.
- Students should be comfortable reading fluently in English and writing independently (and legibly!) by hand.
- If your student is outside the recommended grade range for this class, or if you have further questions, please contact us prior to enrollment to ensure proper placement.
“[Mrs. Foose] made my daughter fall in love with Spanish.” —Scholé Academy SFC Parent
- Spanish for Children Primer A (Student Edition)
Please note: MP3 versions of the Spanish for Children A chants will be provided to the students enrolled in this course at no charge.
*Required texts are not included in the purchase of the course.
- Spanish for Children Primer A Answer Key
Spanish for Children Primer A Answer Key features actual, full-size pages from Spanish for Children Primer A, with answers to quizzes, exercises, and worksheets in bold print. The answer key is optional for this online class.
- Tin Bot: Spanish Language Reader
Presented primarily in English, Tin Bot uses common words from Spanish intermixed into each sentence. Students will help solve the mysterious case of the dognapped canine in this bilingual robot story. This sixty-four-page reader is tied with the vocabulary from Spanish for Children Primer A. Spanish doesn’t have to be dry and boring, and it will certainly come alive in Tin Bot!
HeadventureLand.com is our premier classical education practice site. As students are learning Latin, logic, and other classical subjects, they often don’t get enough opportunities outside the classroom to put their skills to use. With a creative, engaging environment such as Headventure Land, we believe that students will enjoy practicing and strengthening their skills without the need for prompting. HeadventureLand.com has a free Lite Zone corresponding to Spanish for Children A.
Cecy Fencer: Bio coming soon.
Computer: You will need a stable, reliable computer, running with a processor with a speed of 1 GHz or better on one of the following operating systems: Mac OS X with Mac OS 10.7 or later; Windows 8, 7, Vista (with SP1 or later), or XP (with SP3 or later). We do not recommend using an iPad or other tablet for joining classes. An inexpensive laptop or netbook would be much better solutions, as they enable you to plug an Ethernet cable directly into your computer. Please note that Chromebooks are allowed but not preferred, as they do not support certain features of the Zoom video conference software such as breakout sessions and annotation, which may be used by our teachers for class activities.
High-Speed Internet Connection: You will also need access to high-speed Internet, preferably accessible via Ethernet cable right into your computer. Using Wi-Fi may work, but will not guarantee you the optimal use of your bandwidth. The faster your Internet, the better. We recommend using a connection with a download/upload speed of 5/1 Mbps or better. You can test your Internet connection here.
Headset: We recommend using a headset rather than a built-in microphone and speakers. Using a headset reduces the level of background noise heard by the entire class. Headset Recommendations: USB | 3.5mm
Zoom: We use a web conferencing software called Zoom for our classes, which enables students and teachers to gather from around the globe face to face in real time. Zoom is free to download and easy to use. To download Zoom:
- Visit zoom.us/download.
- Click to download the first option listed, Zoom Client for Meetings.
- Open and run the installer on your computer.
- In August, students will be provided with instructions and a link for joining their particular class.
Scanner: In this class, students frequently submit homework assignments by scanning pages from their workbooks. Students and/or their parents should have easy access to a scanner and the ability to use it.
What’s Different About Latin
- The Other
Explore our courses!
First, read the available course descriptions, noting prerequisites, target grades, and course objectives. If you think your student is prepared for the course, go ahead and register. After registration, a placement assessment may be provided to students, depending on the course and the student’s previous enrollment with Scholé Academy. Registration is finalized when the student’s placement assessment has been returned by the course instructor with placement confirmation.
Read the Student-Parent Handbook.
Please take careful note of our teaching philosophy, our technology requirements, our school policies, the parent agreement, and the distinctions between our grade levels.
Double-check the course section dates and times.
Make sure they don't conflict with other activities in your schedule or other courses you are purchasing. Our system will not catch double-bookings!
You're ready to add course selections to your cart!
Our Assistant to the Principal will be in touch with you after your enrollment to help you with next steps, including any placement evaluations that may be required for your course selections.
This registration will be finalized when the student's placement assessment has been returned by the course instructor with placement confirmation.