Middle-School Spanish for Children B
Term: Yearlong 2019–20, September 3–May 22
Target Grade Levels: Grades 6-8; 9th graders welcome (see placement details below)
Schedule: 2x / week, 60–75 min.
Section 1: M/W 12:30 p.m. ET with Mrs. Foose
New Placement Process: Click to Read
- students who are new to Scholé Academy
- students who have not completed the previous course level at Scholé Academy
- students who have not completed the designated prerequisites
- students who need to demonstrate skills and proficiency necessary for course success
- If a placement evaluation has not been administered, withdrawals requested before May 1 are granted a full refund, including the full $75 deposit.
- If a placement evaluation has been administered, withdrawals requested before May 1 are granted part of their $75 refund: $35 will be paid to the instructor for the placement evaluation, and the remaining $40 of the original deposit will be refunded.
This Spanish course is designed for middle school students who are ready to continue their study of Spanish grammar, reading, and conversation. Throughout the course of Spanish for Children B, students learn over 250 NEW commonly used Spanish vocabulary words, building on their foundation from Spanish for Children A. They also study engaging conversational text including original poems, rhymes, riddles, treasure hunts and stories, as well as intermediate grammatical concepts such as more complex verb conjugation, tenses, and gender-number agreement, enabling them to construct Spanish sentences properly. The Spanish for Children curriculum teaches middle school students this dynamic language using the pedagogy and structure of the popular Latin for Children series combined with immersion-style dialogues and vocabulary. This course emphasizes grammar and the parts of speech as vital tools for the correct speaking and understanding of Spanish. For a closer look at the text used in this course, please follow this link and click “Look Inside”: Spanish for Children B
The Spanish for Children curriculum is content-rich in both its breadth and its depth. In order to foster understanding of subject matter and guide students to mastery at a fitting pace, we offer Spanish for Children B in one year for middle school students (while upper elementary classes split the book in two courses). In Middle School Spanish for Children B Señora Foose guides students through the entire text of Spanish for Children B.
Schedule: The course meets 2 times per week for 60-75 minutes, affording adequate instructional time as well as time for more advanced conversational and writing practice and listening exercises.
Placement: Please read about our new process above.
- Students who have completed Spanish for Children Primer Ato the end are ideally prepared for this course. Students who have a foundation in Spanish but have not used the Spanish for Children series before are welcome to join this course. It is recommended that these students obtain the Spanish for Children A text and work through the chapter quizzes in pencil to ensure they are comfortable with the grammar and vocabulary. Students may also work through the unit 7 review lessons to measure their confidence with the skills necessary for proceeding with Spanish for Children B.
- When considering whether this course is a good fit for your student, please keep in mind that in addition to readiness for the course content, students should be developmentally prepared to engage in a 6th- to 8th-grade corporate learning environment. If your student is outside the target grade range for this class, or if you have further questions about placement, please contact us.
- Spanish for Children Primer B (Student Edition)
Please note: MP3 versions of the Spanish for Children B chants will be provided to the students enrolled in this course at no charge.
- Spanish for Children Primer B Answer Key
The answer key features actual, full-size pages from the Spanish for Children Bprimer, with answers to quizzes, exercises, and worksheets in bold print. The answer keys are optional for this online class.
HeadventureLand.com is our premier classical education practice site. As students are learning Latin, logic, and other classical subjects, they often don’t get enough opportunities outside the classroom to put their skills to use. With a creative, engaging environment such as Headventure Land, we believe that students will enjoy practicing and strengthening their skills without the need for prompting. HeadventureLand.com has a free Lite Zone corresponding to Spanish for Children Primer A.
*Required materials are not included in the purchase of the course.
Sarah Foose is a fluent and enthusiastic Spanish speaker and an experienced Spanish teacher. She enjoys the language-learning process in its own right and loves sharing this love with her students. Her Spanish journey began when she was young, continued at Duke University where she was a Spanish major, and came to fruition with a second major in Latino Studies, two stints studying abroad in Southern Mexico, and various interpreting, missions, and immigrant advocacy roles as an adult. Sarah has taught Spanish to grades 3 through 10, privately and at a classical school in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. She has also taught dialectic and rhetoric school math, history, logic, literature, and ESL literature. Sarah loves Spanish grammar but enjoys even more the beauty of cross-cultural relationships made possible by a common language—this is what Spanish class is ultimately about! She and her husband, Jeremy, have two young, bilingual children, Leah and Annie, and live in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. Sarah’s other passions include a gospel lifestyle, food, and the great outdoors. Mrs. Foose teaches Spanish for Children A and B at Scholé Academy. firstname.lastname@example.org
Computer: You will need a stable, reliable computer, running with a processor with a speed of 1 GHz or better on one of the following operating systems: Mac OS X with Mac OS 10.7 or later; Windows 8, 7, Vista (with SP1 or later), or XP (with SP3 or later). We do not recommend using an iPad or other tablet for joining classes. An inexpensive laptop or netbook would be much better solutions, as they enable you to plug an Ethernet cable directly into your computer. Please note that Chromebooks are allowed but not preferred, as they do not support certain features of the Zoom video conference software such as breakout sessions and annotation, which may be used by our teachers for class activities.
High-Speed Internet Connection: You will also need access to high-speed Internet, preferably accessible via Ethernet cable right into your computer. Using Wi-Fi may work, but will not guarantee you the optimal use of your bandwidth. The faster your Internet, the better. We recommend using a connection with a download/upload speed of 5/1 Mbps or better. You can test your Internet connection here.
Headset: We recommend using a headset rather than a built-in microphone and speakers. Using a headset reduces the level of background noise heard by the entire class. Headset Recommendations: USB | 3.5mm
Zoom: We use a web conferencing software called Zoom for our classes, which enables students and teachers to gather from around the globe face to face in real time. Zoom is free to download and easy to use. To download Zoom:
- Visit zoom.us/download.
- Click to download the first option listed, Zoom Client for Meetings.
- Open and run the installer on your computer.
- In August, students will be provided with instructions and a link for joining their particular class.
What’s Different About Latin
- The Other
Explore our courses!
First, read the available course descriptions, noting prerequisites, target grades, and course objectives. If you think your student is prepared for the course, go ahead and register. After registration, a placement assessment may be provided to students, depending on the course and the student’s previous enrollment with Scholé Academy. Registration is finalized when the student’s placement assessment has been returned by the course instructor with placement confirmation.
Read the Student-Parent Handbook.
Please take careful note of our teaching philosophy, our technology requirements, our school policies, the parent agreement, and the distinctions between our grade levels.
Double-check the course section dates and times.
Make sure they don't conflict with other activities in your schedule or other courses you are purchasing. Our system will not catch double-bookings!
You're ready to add course selections to your cart!
Our Assistant to the Principal will be in touch with you after your enrollment to help you with next steps, including any placement evaluations that may be required for your course selections.
This registration will be finalized when the student's placement assessment has been returned by the course instructor with placement confirmation.