Schole Academy Latin Club
discimus vitae, non scholae
–– Seneca the Younger, 65 CE
Salvete omnes! Welcome to the Schole Academy Latin Club! This year, students in Latin Club will have the opportunity to expand their knowledge and appreciation of Latin through the exploration of conversational Latin, Roman cultural traditions, and classical practices that still impact the modern world today. Students will learn more about the mythology, history, and art of the ancient world while bolstering their growing knowledge of the written and spoken language itself. Whether through amicable Certamen competitions (Latin quizzing), or at-home constructions of ancient Roman ruins, students in Latin Club will benefit from the diverse exposure to many of classical civilization’s greatest treasures.
- Who can be in Latin Club?
Any students in Latin 1-3 are welcome to join.
- When will Latin Club happen?
Latin Club will be offered twice a month (Meeting A & Meeting B) so that students can choose to attend the meeting that fits their schedule better.
- Where will Latin Club take place?
There will be a Zoom meeting room specifically for SA Latin Club. The link will be available to all interested members.
- Can students attend both monthly meetings?
Yes, they can, although it will be the same agenda for both monthly meetings.
- What will a typical Club meeting entail?
Latin Club will include several types of activities, from practicing conversational Latin to discussing mythology or art, to exploring a Roman cultural tradition or engaging in Certamen-esque (Latin quizzing) competitions.
- What do students need for Club?
Students may wish to have their Latin notes and resources nearby for club meetings, in order to facilitate lively and robust discussion and participation. Additionally, there will be activities throughout the year that may require simple supplies. Please check the quarterly schedule for details about any and all supplies needed for each meeting.
Quarter 1 Meetings:
- October Meetings (A & B) – Cultural Topic: Columns & Craftsmanship. Supplies Needed: For the activity, please make sure each student has a bar of plain, white soap, plastic utensil, garbage bag to work over.
Quarter 2 Meetings:
- November Meetings (A & B) – Cultural Topic: Mosaics
- December Meetings (A & B) – Cultural Topic: Saturnalia Celebrations
- January Meeting (A)**(Meeting B will take place in Quarter 3) – Cultural Topic: Mythology